Spawforths £750m Castleford Masterplan
The Aire River Growth Corridor Masterplan which is seeking to bring forward £750m of investment in the town is currently being consulted on by Wakefield Metropolitan District Council.
The masterplan that Spawforths prepared with WSP and Cushman and Wakefield seeks to transform 230ha of former industrial brownfield land in the north of Castleford into new communities for up to 4,500 new homes. The masterplan shows how these former industrial sites will be transformed, the town centre revitalised and green, open spaces, free of vehicles created to provide better links between neighbourhoods and more opportunities for walking and cycling in the area, alongside the River Aire and into the surrounding countryside.
Once the Masterplan has been consulted on and approved, it will provide evidence for current and future funding bids and make private investors and developers more aware of the potential of the area.
Cllr Denise Jeffery, Cabinet Member for Economic Growth and Regeneration at Wakefield Council, said: “The Castleford Masterplan supports our big ambitions to regenerate the town and to plan for the future. This will provide homes for families in the district, help to boost our local economy and create various jobs for people in the area. It is a very exciting time for the town and we want as many people as possible to have their say by taking part in the consultation.”
The plan aims to deliver the following economic benefits:
- Total private inward investment of about £750m in the long term
- Industrial employment of 650 full time equivalent jobs
- Construction jobs relating to housing developments 6750 full time equivalent posts over the 10 -15 years construction period
- New Homes Bonus (NHB) based on 4500 homes – £26.6m for the district. This is dependent on a future governments retaining the NHB payment.
- Increased Council tax based on 4,500 new homes at band B £5.18m per year for the benefit of the whole of the Wakefield district
For further details on the Masterplan and Consultation, visit the website: www.wakefield.gov.uk/ARGCmasterplan